"SEC. 747A. TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES FOR DIRECT CARE WORKERS.
(a) IN GENERAL.-The Secretary shall award grants to eligible entities to enable such entities to provide new training opportunities for direct care workers who are employed in long-term care settings such as nursing homes (as defined in section 1908(e)(1) of the Social Se-curity Act (42 U.S.C. 1396g(e)(1)), assisted living facili-ties, home care settings, and any other setting the Sec-retary determines to be appropriate.
(b) ELIGIBILITY.-To be eligible to receive a grant under this section, an entity shall-
(1) be an institution of higher education (as defined in section 102 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1002)) that-Read below the fold...
98 SEC. 431. TRAINING IN FAMILY MEDICINE, GENERAL INTERNAL MEDICINE, GENERAL PEDIATRICS, AND PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTSHIP. ";
SEC. 431. TRAINING IN FAMILY MEDICINE, GENERAL INTERNAL MEDICINE, GENERAL PEDIATRICS, AND PHYSICIAN ASSISTANTSHIP.
Part C of title VII (42 U.S.C. 293k et seq.) is amended by striking section 747 and inserting the following:
"SEC. 747. PRIMARY CARE TRAINING AND ENHANCEMENT.
(a) SUPPORT AND DEVELOPMENT OF PRIMARY CARE TRAINING PROGRAMS.-
(1) IN GENERAL.-The Secretary may make grants to, or enter into contracts with, an accredited public or nonprofit private hospital, school of medi-cine or osteopathic medicine, academically affiliated physician assistant training program, or a public or private nonprofit entity which the Secretary has de-termined is capable of carrying out such grant or contract-Read below the fold...
"SEC. 330A-1. GRANTS TO NURSE-MANAGED HEALTH CLINICS.
(1) COMPREHENSIVE PRIMARY HEALTH CARE SERVICES.-In this section, the term comprehensive primary health care services means the primary health services described in section 330(b)(1).
(2) NURSE-MANAGED HEALTH CLINIC.-The term nurse-managed health clinic means a nurse-practice arrangement, managed by advanced practice nurses, that provides primary care or wellness serv-ices to underserved or vulnerable populations and that is associated with a school, college, university or department of nursing, federally qualified health center, or independent nonprofit health or social services agency.Read below the fold...
SEC. 428. NURSE-MANAGED HEALTH CLINICS.
PURPOSE.-The purpose of this section is to fund the development and operation of nurse-managed health
clinics in order to provide comprehensive primary health care and wellness services to vulnerable populations living in the Nations medically underserved communities, and to reduce the level of health disparities experienced by vulnerable populations.Read below the fold...
SEC. 426. GRANTS FOR STATE AND LOCAL PROGRAMS.
(a) IN GENERAL.-Section 765(d) of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 295(d)) is amended-
in paragraph (7), by striking ; or and inserting a semicolon;
by redesignating paragraph (8) as paragraph (9); and
by inserting after paragraph (7) the following:
(8) public health workforce loan repayment programs; or.
Read below the fold...
SEC. 427. FUNDING FOR NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE CORPS.
Section 338H(a) of the Public Health Service Act (42
U.S.C. 254q(a)) is amended to read as follows:
(a) AUTHORIZATION OF APPROPRIATIONS.-For the purpose of carrying out this section, there is authorized to be appropriated, out of any funds in the Treasury not otherwise appropriated, the following:
(1) For fiscal year 2010, $320,461,632. (2) For fiscal year 2011, $414,095,394. (3) For fiscal year 2012, $535,087,442. (4) For fiscal year 2013, $691,431,432. (5) For fiscal year 2014, $893,456,433. (6) For fiscal year 2015, $1,154,510,336. (7) For fiscal year 2016, and each subsequentRead below the fold...
SEC. 423. HEALTH CARE WORKFORCE LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAMS.
Part E of title VII of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 294n et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following:
Read below the fold...
91 "Subpart 3-Recruitment and Retention Programs "SEC. 775. INVESTMENT IN TOMORROW'S PEDIATRIC HEALTH CARE WORKFORCE. ";
"Subpart 3-Recruitment and Retention Programs "SEC. 775. INVESTMENT IN TOMORROW'S PEDIATRIC HEALTH CARE WORKFORCE.
(a) ESTABLISHMENT.-The Secretary shall estab-lish and carry out a pediatric specialty loan repayment program under which the eligible individual agrees to be employed full-time for a specified period (which shall not be less than 2 years) in providing pediatric medical sub-specialty, pediatric surgical specialty, or child and adoles-cent mental and behavioral health care.
(b) PROGRAM ADMINISTRATION.-Through the pro-gram established under this section, the Secretary shall enter into contracts with qualified health professionals under which-Read below the fold...
SEC. 424. PUBLIC HEALTH WORKFORCE RECRUITMENT AND RETENTION PROGRAMS.
Part E of title VII of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 294n et seq.), as amended by section 423, is further amended by adding at the end the following:
"SEC. 776. PUBLIC HEALTH WORKFORCE LOAN REPAYMENT
(a) ESTABLISHMENT.-The Secretary shall estab-lish the Public Health Workforce Loan Repayment Pro-gram (referred to in this section as the Program) to as-sure an adequate supply of public health professionals to eliminate critical public health workforce shortages in Federal, State, local, and tribal public health agencies.
(b) ELIGIBILITY.-To be eligible to participate in the Program, an individual shall-Read below the fold...
SEC. 413. HEALTH CARE WORKFORCE PROGRAM ASSESSMENT.
(a) IN GENERAL.-Section 761 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 294m) is amended-
by redesignating subsection (c) as subsection (e);
by striking subsection (b) and inserting the following: (b) NATIONAL CENTER FOR HEALTH CARE WORK-
Read below the fold...
SEC. 421. FEDERALLY SUPPORTED STUDENT LOAN FUNDS.
LOAN PROVISIONS.-Section 722 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 292r) is amended by strik-ing subsection (e) and inserting the following:
(e) RATE OF INTEREST.-Such loans shall bear in-terest, on the unpaid balance of the loan, computed only for periods for which the loan is repayable, at the rate of 2 percent less than the applicable rate of interest de-scribed in section 427A(l)(1) of the Higher Education Act of 1965 (20 U.S.C. 1077a(l)(1)) per year..Read below the fold...
SEC. 422. NURSING STUDENT LOAN PROGRAM.
LOAN AGREEMENTS.-Section 836(a) of the Pub-lic Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 297a(a)) is amended-
(3) by striking $13,000 and all that follows through the period and insert $17,000 in the case of any student during fiscal years 2010 and 2011. After fiscal year 2011, such amounts shall be ad-justed to provide for a cost-of-living increase for the yearly loan rate and the aggregate of the loans..
LOAN PROVISIONS.-Section 836(b) of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 297b(b)) is amended-
SEC. 412. STATE HEALTH CARE WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT GRANTS.
(a) ESTABLISHMENT.-There is established a com-petitive health care workforce development grant program (referred to in this section as the program) for the pur-pose of enabling State partnerships to complete com-prehensive planning and to carry out activities leading to coherent and comprehensive health care workforce devel-opment strategies at the State and local levels.
OVERSIGHT AND REPORTING.-
TITLE IV-HEALTH CARE WORKFORCE Subtitle A-Purpose and Definitions
SEC. 401. PURPOSE.
The purpose of this title is to improve access to and the delivery of health care services for all individuals, par-ticularly low income, underserved, uninsured, minority, health disparity, and rural populations by-Read below the fold...