Curating the twitter feed (and the rotating globe)

As you can see in the siderbar, the  twitter feed is back and IMNSHO better than ever. But the feed is coming from a single hash tag: #OWS. I could just slam in my own collection, but readers, what do you think?

So far as I can tell from the twitter api, I can only get hash tags (and not @names).

I could also make several blocks with different collections, and then allow you all to turn them on or off in your account settings (see "My Account in the middle menu bar. That's where you turn on the globe showing all the current hits; I turned that off because it's JavaScript-heavy, and that's a performance hit for some. But maybe not you!)

Comments

My account (second menu) -> Edit -> Personalize Blocks [x] Live Tweets

If that is checked, and the bllock is not showing up please (a) clear your browser's cache (b) make sure JavaScript is turned on, and (c) let me know if it still doesn't turn up. Thanks!

athena1's picture
Submitted by athena1 on

Thanks, and sorry for the need for spoonfeeding!

Submitted by hipparchia on

it used to be that you could follow a @name or a list of @names or a hashtag or a list of hashtags. i think there was one other option too. i had the different code blocks for each option saved on my previous computer, which crashed recently, and i only barely remember pieces of the code, so i can't recreate any of it.

then there's the the added issue of twitter's not wanting to play nicely with third-party apps, but i'll look around and see what i can find out...

Submitted by hipparchia on

this looks vaguely familiar:

the first example - the black background with green text, using setProfile - is for following one twitter user. the example at the bottom of the page - using setList - is for following a list of twitter users. for that one, you first make a list on your twitter profile page of people you want to follow with your twitter widget, then put your twitter user name and your list name in the appropriate spaces in the setList line.

The other ones myteriously stop working and/or are not maintained. And I couldn't get names and hash tags to work together when I tried.

I had twtiter create the widget. So I want to add hash tags to the twitter widget.

Submitted by hipparchia on

<a class="twitter-timeline" data-dnt=true href="?q=%23corgi" data-widget-id="281606587758559233">Tweets about "#corgi"</a>
<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>

Submitted by hipparchia on

<a class="twitter-timeline" data-dnt=true href="?q=#corgi" data-widget-id="281607675207368704">Tweets about "#corgi"</a>

Submitted by hipparchia on

Submitted by hipparchia on

Submitted by hipparchia on

Submitted by hipparchia on

the hashtag is #corgi, so copy it and replace "corgi" with whatever hashtag(s) you want to follow.

nb: it only worked when i pasted it into a "full html" box here.

Submitted by hipparchia on
also, can you delete all these extraneous replies for me?

Submitted by hipparchia on

behmmm...

it doesn't seem to be updating, but may it won't here in comments and maybe it will in a sidebar?

... although I did want to, which is why I did. (I tried a litter of Drupal twitter modules, and none of them are very good).

So the widget is twitters, and working fine. It refreshes. But it has the single #ows tag. What I am looking for is suggestions for more tags, closer to what users want.