Winter's onset

I knew it was warm, because the kitchen wasn't cold, so when I decided to go out for a snack, I didn't go to the trouble of lacing up my winter boots, and just slipped on some boat shoes (OK, I'm a WASP Even if I don't have a boat, I ought to). Outside, it was just above freezing, rainy over ice, and incredibly slippery. And the shoes I'd chosen didn't give me any traction at all.

So, I walked very carefully to the nearer of the two snack options, the other one being down a slippery hill. Because I didn't want to fall.

Now, that's sensible reasoning at any age. But I find myself reasoning like that at this age. I'm not sure I like that very much.

Comments

JoeInSF's picture
Submitted by JoeInSF on

Sounds like the first time you realize that you too don't like to drive at night :)

... so I haven't had that exact experience but yes, I see what you mean!

katiebird's picture
Submitted by katiebird on

The street in front of my parent's house has never been adequately treated for snow and ice. I've grumbled about it for years. But a couple of weeks ago after Ice Skating to their front door, I asked my dad to call the city and ask them to clear the 20' (!!!) of ice between the cleared portion of the street and their curb. My dad was totally unconcerned, saying that they never treated that part of the street and he wasn't going anywhere anyway. (sigh)

So, when I left, I took a couple of photos to show off at the City Hall, went straight over there and asked them to redo that section.

I've NEVER done anything like that before. But my parents are in their 90s and they depend on me to stop by everyday to do the stuff they just can't do anymore. If I fall and break a bone it's not just my problem -- it's a problem for the whole family.

Even when the kids were little, I didn't feel like my mobility was so critical. It's a weird time.

katiebird's picture
Submitted by katiebird on

Oh, and the city was wonderful about it! That section was clear when I came over the next day and when it snowed a week later, it was cleared with the rest of the street.

Of course, in a perfect world, you would own your own snowplow truck. Bonus: In the summer months, you could use the truck to become a "technical," a la Somalia.

katiebird's picture
Submitted by katiebird on

The thing about Kansas though, is that some years we get buried in snow and some years (like last year) we get under 2 inches for the whole year. It makes buying snow removal equipment an iffy purchase. The best years on our cul de sac were when we had long-time neighbors and we'd all go out and shovel it as a neighborhood project. But, those days are gone.

Turlock