Plantidote of the Day 2013-01-14

twig's picture

Czech photographer Katka Pruskova shot time-lapse footage of 22 different flowers opening (and sometimes closing) and distilled it all down to a video less than 3 minutes long. A spectacular way to begin the week. Enjoy! (h/t americablog)

Comments

insanelysane's picture
Submitted by insanelysane on

So beautiful. That's very relaxing to watch.

Thanks

twig's picture
Submitted by twig on

this is about all that'll be available for Plantidote -- other people's photography/videos! Last year, the acacia trees were in bloom in January, IIRC, followed closely by peach trees. So far, that's not happening. But last January was way warmer than this year, as is normal here. I wonder if we'll ever see normal weather again.

[I believe that I just told you that the other day about your "bean" Plantidote, too, LOL!] But it's true.

BTW, my order hasn't shipped yet. I checked earlier, and it's 'being pulled.' Oh, well. It'll be all the better when it does arrive!

twig's picture
Submitted by twig on

anytime. And I'll believe you ;-)

Just got an email saying my beans are getting on a UPS truck today, with an estimated arrival date of Wednesday. We ordered on the same day, I think, so yours should be shipping, too. Now to decide what to make with them .... maybe just plain old beans at first, to get an idea of how they taste.

insanelysane's picture
Submitted by insanelysane on

The way Steve Sando makes plain old beans is by

First dice up 3 vegetables
Onion, celey, garlic
or carrot onion and celery.
IN a big pot , sizzle the veggies in a couple TB olive oil till starts to soften.
Then add the soaked beans and the water enough to cover.
NO SALT YET>
Bring to a full boil and boil ( rolling boil) for 5 minutes, then turn on low for a slow SLOW simmer. Cook until almost soft. (could be 3 hours or more) When nearly soft, add the salt and cook until all firmness is gone. ( check water so it doesn't cook dry add more hot water if needed.)
That's all I ever do and they are so amazing. WE eat them on everything and in everything and often just with a chunk of sourdough bread and a glass of wine.

[Since that's Martin Luther King's Birthday, guess the shipment will actually arrive Tuesday.] Of course, since you're in CA with them, that doesn't surprise me.

Mr. Alexa and I just decided that we would pick up some "ordinary" black beans later this week, and try out your casserole. Might be best anyway, since if we were to "botch it up" somehow, we won't be using the 'the good beans.' :-)