Plantidote of the Day 2013-01-30

twig's picture

beans!

Baked Lima Beans with Kale

A few weeks ago, we exchanged a lot of bean information. (If you missed that, you can catch up here.) So now it's time to weigh in on the results of the bean tasting/testing. The Rancho Gordo gourmet beans are, in my not-that-humble opinion, awesome! They seem to have a more appealing texture and distinctive flavor. I've made the Baked Lima Beans (here's the recipe) before, with ordinary supermarket lima beans. It was good. But with the Rancho Gordo beans, it was superior. Maybe it's my imagination or just a way of rationalizing spending more money on beans, so I don't feel like a complete sucker for anything new and/or fancy. Who knows? But it's not just the lima beans. The RG black beans were remarkably delicious, and the Good Mother Stallards were outstanding! Now I'm wondering if anyone else has tried them and had a different -- or similar -- experience. Let's compare notes in the comments!

****************************************

Readers, please send twig (twig4now@gmail.com) images and stories for the ongoing Plantidote of the Day series. In exchange, you'll win undying fame in the form of a hat tip! Plants growing in your garden, your house, or neighbor's yard, plants from the forest or farmers' market, plants you preserved, plants you prepared (wine; cider; tea; dried beans), plants you harvested (grains; chantrelles), plants you picked (flowers), plants you dried (herbs), plants you covet or hope to grow someday. Herbal remedies, propagation tips, new varieties, etc.. And if you can, include some solid detail about the plant, too -- a story, the genus and species, or where you got the seeds, or the recipe, or your grandmother gave it to you. Or challenge us with a "Name That Plant" mystery entry ... And please feel free to add corrections and additional information in the comments.

Click on the image for the full-size version. Click here to see the entire series.

Comments

Andre's picture
Submitted by Andre on

I apologize for going off the topic but I don't know if anybody has mentioned this: Bob's Red Mill ( a truly great outlet for flours) has a whole series of beans that's quite interesting. Bottom of the second page and all of the third page under "Grains Beans and Seeds":
Most of these have one hour (or less for the anasazi beans) cook time. I've been developing some recipes with the adzuki beans, which are really sweet and delicious, and I'm about to move onto trying the cranberry beans. They do have Lima beans there. Between BRM and RG we have a lifetime of bean recipe creation I would say.

Andre's picture
Submitted by Andre on

My mother, being French Canadian, had a famous recipe for baked beans. She used kidneys or navy beans. And salt pork. A quarter to a half pound of salt pork. Of course the beans were indescribably delicious. But salt pork is not good for you. As brief as possible, here's what I'm doing: from one pound of good ground pork, make twelve meatballs, with sea salt, black pepper, grated onion, garlic, pinch of dry mustard, egg substitute, and just a few bread crumbs. Oven to 325, and stovetop brown meatballs in a wide dutch oven. Take the meatballs out and add 1 C adzukis and other ingredients (below) and bring to a boil stiring, then cover and put in heated over for an hour. At the end of the hour, back to the stovetop on medium heat and add one cup of rice (I'm using arborio now) appropriate boiling water and stir for about ten minutes, then add the meatballs back in and keep stiring for another ten minutes after simmer resumes. Here's the modern day ingredients of my Mom's baked beans (less the salt park):
Appropriatee water
i small onion quarteered
1 t sea salt
black pepper
3/4 t dry mustard
1 T + molasses
1 T + agave syrup
1/8 t baking soda
The taste of this dish is great but I'm working on the amount of gravy, so getting the water right is my present endeavor..

About Bob's Red Mill, they sell bags of ORGANIC (as in no GMO) corn meal that is truly very close to awesome. It's nice to get just to look at. NO GMO corn.

twig's picture
Submitted by twig on

That sounds awesome, thank you!! And OMG, organic corn meal -- I didn't think that was available anywhere! Yummmmm!!

caseyOR's picture
Submitted by caseyOR on

Rancho Gordo beans. RG offers more variety especially with their program that highlights Mexican heirloom beans grown by small farmers in Mexico. Bob's, however, can be purchased at my local grocery store.

Both offer dried beans that are quite fresh and so require much less cooking time than your usual store-bought dried bean. I think that the fact that they have not spent 5 years stacked on a pallet in a warehouse before making to the store accounts for the superior taste and texture.

If you are in the habit of cooking up a pot of beans and keeping it in the fridge for 3-4 days, you have a ready supply of cooked beans to add to dinners over those few days. Sometimes I will cook a pound of beans on Sunday. They I eat some with Sunday dinner, maybe as a side dish to a nice roast chicken.

On Monday I sauté chard or kale with onion and garlic, add some of the cooked beans to the dish to heat them up and mix them with the greens, and I have dinner. Serve with rice or add a poached or fried egg to the dish.

On Tuesday I might sauté onion with a red bell pepper and a bit of jalapeño, add in beans to heat through and serve over brown rice.

You can add the beans to scrambled eggs with peppers and onion and corn tortillas, add some avocado and salsa, and you have a version of the Tex-Mex dish migas.

And now, after 4 meals I have eaten that pot of beans. And Sunday's roast chicken is the only meal that might take too long for a weeknight.

How long your pot of beans lasts depends on how many people for whom you are cooking.

twig's picture
Submitted by twig on

Since ordering the RGs, I've had some already cooked beans in the refrigerator every day and do the same thing -- add some to whatever we're eating. They go with just about everything. I put them in pasta, soup and salad -- very versatile!

veggies's picture
Submitted by veggies on

I am glad I come across such useful information. My parents owns a bean farm, and I love them. But the sad thing is I don't know how to cook them, the beans. So I am looking for a recipe and finally I found it. Thanks for posting.