SOTU Open Thread

Invent your own drinking games!

And do take care to remove any object small enough to throw from your immediate vicinity when you get ready to listen or, heaven forfend, watch!

Comments

Submitted by libbyliberal on

see my above comment -- sorry, had a bad tech moment before I finished writing my comment. anyone who wants to drop in. best, libby

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare. (Japanese proverb)

Maybe Obama will turn into a giant squid or something.

The central policy proposals got leaked by a senior White House official:

1. Raise the minimum wage to $9.00

2. Pre-K education

3. 30,000 (?) troops out of somewhere.

Wowsers. Who know if it's right...

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

Preschool -- do it for kids, not because it's right, but because it's seven times more profitable! Principles by balance sheet.

Race to the Top bragging. Ugh. And now high school "partnerships with business".

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

And a government list of colleges with "best bang for the buck". Consumer choice for education as for health care -- neoliberalism strikes again.

Personally, I'm sick and tired of money being thrown at privatizing the school system!

We received 501 MIllion Dollars to privatize our schools. Why would ANYONE, especially a liberal, support another penny being spent this way?

The brand new "church school" that adjoins a property of ours was built on our taxpayer money.

Why does NO ONE in the progressive community make an issue of this? If this was Bush doing this, their heads would be exploding.

I am truly sickened by the "hypocrisy" of so many folks who claim to be "liberals?" Or, are they all just "clueless" regarding educational policy? Go figure.

Have a good evening, folks. Think I've heard about all that I can take, for one night, LOL!

Alexa

“If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

[Avatar Photo Credit: Conflagrate, jurvetson's photostream, flickr]

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

After mumbling a few words about jobs, he heads straight for deficit reduction.

And Medicare "reform". Seniors can't shoulder "entire burden of deficit reduction." Now will haggle over size of burden. Bowles-Simpson BS. Long list of Medicare cuts as starting point for negotiations.

All the same shit he's been peddling before. "The politics will be hard for both sides." "Set party interests aside." Mr. Bipartisanship.

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

We're not "middle class" so he doesn't care. Neither legacy party does.

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

No deficit spending for stimulus, he brags. Some good stuff on science, but requests no significant money for it.

Producing more oil in US, more natural gas, he boasts, in same sentence as "we must do more to combat climate change." "Bipartisan market-based approach to climate change." It's an emergency we'll fight as long as it doesn't cut into our profits, I guess. Then brags about speeding approval of new oil & gas permits.

I'll be waiting for Bradblog to shred that commission. It's not the "voting experience' that's the problem! It's photo ID requirements and election fraud!

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

I guess "undermining financial institutions" is a job for Wall Street traders, not "cyberterrorists".

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

The war will be over ... but we're staying in Afghanistan after 2014. No surprise.

"Helping" Yemen, Somalia, Mali. "Direct action against terrorists" -- drones. Insists it's legal, transparent.

Saber rattling -- "will do what is necessary to prevent [Iran] from getting a nuclear weapon".

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

Obama to Congress on drones: Didn't you get the memo? I posted it yesterday.

Submitted by Hugh on

Real unemployment was 13.6% in January. Real wages have been flat for most Americans for 40 years. We all know there are not going to be any jobs because Obama is pursuing austerity, not stimulus. There will be no new money for R&D, no new money for infrastructure, no new money for Medicare and Social Security, no new money for the Post Office. Obama and the whole Washington crowd will do everything possible to avoid cuts to the Pentagon due to sequestration. Sequestration was, of course, a self-created crisis, one in a series of manufactured Shock Doctrine moments. The target has never been the Pentagon, but softening up Medicare and Social Security for the kill. Obama is reducing troops in Afghanistan, not to end a war, but because he has embraced the doctrine of drones and special ops. Why have a 100,000 troops in Afghanistan when he can have drones and special ops in half a dozen countries?

The easiest way to analyze a speech of Obama is to assume that everything he says is a lie. Comparing the lie to the known policy helps suss out what propaganda lines he will be using in the coming months and where the shiv is likely to go in.

Hugh

tom allen's picture
Submitted by tom allen on

So Robert Gibbs was just hired to join Tweety on MSNBC and bitch about the "professional left".

But I'm pleased to see there's no lack of critique...

comment on this policy pronouncement (snark intended!).

Affluent Seniors Could Take A Hit On Medicare

By Mary Agnes Carey and Marilyn Werber Serafini
KHN Staff Writers
Nov 13, 2011

In the scramble to come up with a deficit-reduction deal by Thanksgiving, members of Capitol Hill's super committee appear to have one group squarely in their cross hairs: high-income Medicare beneficiaries. . . .

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has left the door open to asking wealthy seniors to pay more, and public opinion polls show support for the idea. . . .

Current law already requires seniors with annual incomes of $85,000 and above ($170,000 for couples) to pay more than others for Medicare Part B, which covers doctor bills and other outpatient costs. In 2012, the standard premium will be $99.90 per month. Premiums for wealthier seniors will range from $139.90 to $319.70 per month.

About 5 percent of seniors fall into the higher-premium group now. President Barack Obama wants the share of beneficiaries paying more for their coverage to grow over time to one quarter of all beneficiaries. If that were the case today, people with incomes as low as $40,000 a year would be paying higher Medicare premiums, according to Tricia Neuman, senior vice president of the Kaiser Family Foundation. (KHN is an editorially independent program of the foundation.)

Great, huh!

Alexa

[Avatar Photo Credit: Conflagrate, jurvetson's photostream, flickr]

I guess I've got the incentive to stay poor, then...

Submitted by Hugh on

Interesting. Raising the retirement age looks like an opening gambit. It's been shelved for now, but moving to the chained CPI is as far as I know still in play. And now means testing Medicare. I wonder if the Obama strategy is to use these as wedges that, as Alexa suggests with Medicare, can be expanded over time. Removing the protective aura around these programs before taking an axe to them.

Hugh

proposed (by the President) to the Supercommittee in 2011.

What sickens me is that had I never read this proposal, his "six words" tonight, would have gone right by me.

Right from the transcript, he said: "We’ll reduce taxpayer subsidies to prescription drug companies and ask more from the wealthiest seniors."

BTW, Lambert, have you had a chance to see why my "signature" line disappeared?

If there's been a programming change, I really need to change my avatar, since it is technically only permissible to use it, with attribution.

I can always use a dog picture. :-) It's not a major deal to me--just don't want someone suing me over their pic, LOL!

Thanks. BTW, my eyes "do better" for very short comments in scroll box.

Alexa

[Avatar Photo Credit: Conflagrate, jurvetson's photostream, flickr]

letsgetitdone's picture
Submitted by letsgetitdone on

The President's plans for increasing jobs ain't gonna happen, even if gets the Rs to vote for it. I explain why here.

These neoliberal putzim (the plural of putz for the uneducated) never learn! As long as they're running things, we're going down the drain!

I sat down to listen, carefully placing myself far away from any objects I could throw, and then dozed off. So I woke up and thought ZOMG!!! I didn't keep the pot boiling ... And there were 45 comments! Huzzah!