Kos extends an olive branch to the PUMAs

If there's any justice in the world, they'll rip his arm off up to the shoulder, along with the hand holding the extended branch. But hey, can I have my account back at GOS?

Obama ran the first successful 21st-century campaign, while Clinton was saddled with a legacy apparatus. But the years since have been good to Hillary and set her up with a clear path to the White House if she wants it.

Before we even get to whatever sick game Kos is playing, let's correct the record:

1. "Successful 21st-century campaign" includes:

And if you look back on how the Obama administration does business, yes, that's what the 21st century looks like.

2. In fact, the much-reviled Mark Penn's "microtrends" presaged the "visionary minimalism" of the Obama 2012 campaign, where, for example, "Swing State Keynesianism" won OH and MI, the low-hanging fruit of covering pre-existing conditions and college-age kids under ObamaCare won the technocratic "creative class", and so on. And could it be that Penn was so reviled by Kos and his familiar, Chris Bowers, not because sucked, but because he was a potentially successful competitor?

3. Clinton ran a 21st century campaign (granted, after cleaning house in her campaign in February 2008. It's just that she did her outreach via disposable cellphones, because that's where her base was: Working three jobs, and not sitting in Internet cafes, like Obama's base in the technocratic "creative class," who also do "21st century" things like building web sites for Kos, the Obama Campaign, and shortly the health exchanges under ObamaCare. Could it be that Clinton's campaign didn't suck at all, and all Kos is doing is talking his book about services he and his posse deliver?

Anyhow, Lucy, here's the football:

For starters, Clinton enjoys near-universal love with base Democrats. She was always strong with Hispanic voters — a key primary constituency in 2008 — but her loyalty to the president has won over Obama partisans as well. The possible opposition is subpar at best.

I don't believe this for a minute. I think Kos is deking us with Clinton to set us up for Warren -- "She's a woman, too!!!" -- who does, after all, employ Chris Bowers, and from whom Kos gets a cut whenever she buys an ad on his site.

I like "the years have been good," though. A lot:

Comments

Rangoon78's picture
Submitted by Rangoon78 on

We never heard of this guy Barack Obama until 2004. Less than three years before taking the presidency, he was in the Illinois state senate, a swamp of scammers, backhanders, and party machine tools - not a stellar launch pad for the White House. And then, one day, state Sen. Barack Obama was visited by his fairy godmother. Her name is Penny Pritzker.

Yeah, some bloggers knew this and other damning things; they were drummed out of sites like Daily kIos when they tried to raise the alarm. I was on the fence until early 2008 when the fact that many progressives were hell bent on Obama's ascendency and would trash anyone who raised these issues, soured me on the lot. One such ostracized blogger was Lambert of Corrente who lost his spot at DailyKos for raising these questions about candidate Obama.

And least for awhile:

OFB PROPHLACTIC Yes, I am paid by the Hillary campaign. Yes, I hope to get a job in Hillary's administration. Yes, I am a shill. Yes, I am a hack. Yes, I am a liar. Yes, I am a racist. Yes, I am a purist. Yes, I am a troll. Yes, I am ignorant. Yes, I hate Obama. Yes, I ignore all facts that don't square with my [lying|racist|purist|shilling|hackish|trollish] preconceptions of Obama. Yes, my reading comprehension is poor. Yes, I have a hidden agenda: I hope that the Democrats lose, and to that end I support [not Obama]. Yes, I could be older than you. Yes, I think all young people are stupid. Did I mention I'm a shill and a hack? Good. Anything else?

Those were all the Obot (sorry, but the truth hurts) talking points....

lizpolaris's picture
Submitted by lizpolaris on

The big cheeto website was rabidly anti-Clinton and the sexism ramped off the scale during the primaries. There is nothing he could do to salvage his reputation at this point. The damage was done.

As they liked to say on his website 'It's over. Get over it.' The divorce is final Kos. The Hillary supporters won't be coming back.

For me, not ever, under any circumstances. I can't live in that atmosphere. I just wish I could see an alternative!

question.

It's amazing to me that I've read DKos (off and on) for almost ten years, but never heard of all these fights.

So, reading this thread, here's my last stupid question. Were you a staff writer there, like Joan McCarter? It sort of sounds like that, from this thread. And that would certainly make things even worse.

Just curious. Not sure how I missed all of this. I've read several blogs for years (although didn't actually start to really post until less than two years ago.) And never saw a word about the PUMAs.

Only saw the talking heads on Cable jousting about the Obama vs Clinton drama.

Hope you don't mind my asking. I'm just wondering because of the drift of the conversation. [Never knew that any of this might have been an impetus, but glad that this experience led you to "invent" Corrente. :-)]

I was never on staff at Kos.

And I didn't "invent" Corrente either. I am the only one still standing from a group of us who were Atrios's first summer fill-ins back in 2003. There is a lot of history here.

I wanted also to say that one good effect of the 2008 primary wars was that it really challenged me to come up with rules to moderate by. That's the source of the thinking behind the Moderation link in the menu (though no, I don't want to go meta).

In particular, the rule that not providing evidence when repeatedly challenged is a bannable offense evolved because in the 2008 chaos, some factions and individuals thought it was OK just to make shit up. ("This is too important for niceties!") I thought and think that's horribly destructive, so I put that rule in place.

time I ask a question, or open my mouth lately, LOL!

Oh, well . . .

[And I like the "evidence" rule, too.]

Just now realized that your signature line is "working." Do you think that if I re-enter mine, it might work again? Or, are you typing it every time you post? Thanks.

Well, I wouldn't worry about it. What it shows me is that old-timers like myself aren't making enough effort to bring new readers along. We assume that you know all the conversation, ut in fact you don't. The fact that the 2008 primary wars are hidden history is pretty amazing. Shows Orwellian power.

Pages