Universe doomed

I knew the quest for the Higgs Boson would come to no good:

Scientists are still sorting out the details of last year's discovery of the Higgs boson particle, but add up the numbers and it's not looking good for the future of the universe, scientists said Monday.

"If you use all the physics that we know now and you do what you think is a straightforward calculation, it's bad news," Joseph Lykken, a theoretical physicist with the Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory in Batavia, Illinois, told reporters.

"It may be that the universe we live in is inherently unstable and at some point billions of years from now it's all going to get wiped out," said Lykken, who is also on the science team at Europe's Large Hadron Collider, or LHC, the world's largest and highest-energy particle accelerator.

So I guess preppers need to adjust their expectations on how long their MREs will last?

"This calculation tells you that many tens of billions of years from now, there'll be a catastrophe," Lykken said.

"A little bubble of what you might think of as an ‘alternative' universe will appear somewhere and then it will expand out and destroy us," Lykken said, adding that the event will unfold at the speed of light.

Such a great metaphor. "Another world is possible," and all that...

Comments

rexvisigothis's picture
Submitted by rexvisigothis on

The nice thing about the end of the world is you can quit paying back your student loans...I apparently was ahead of the curve...meanwhile, while we await the end, can I have your car?

But wait. What car?

jo6pac's picture
Submitted by jo6pac on

It's not the planet I'm worried about but the bat-shit-crazy people on the little blue sphere hurling through space I'm worried about. It's a toss up if the human race as we know it will make to the end.

Cujo359's picture
Submitted by Cujo359 on

I don't think it's a toss up - it's nearly certain. We'll have either died out or evolved into something else by then. Species seldom last more than a few tens of millions of years here. We could have been replaced in our own little ecological niche a thousand times by the time the universe's string runs out.

Submitted by jawbone on

followed by concentration of --whatever's left-- and then another Big Bang creating a new universe?

When I watch PBS programs about new discoveries about the universe, this question keeps entering my thinking.

Note: I am not a astophysisist nor do I play one on the blogs. I was not even a science minor....

Cujo359's picture
Submitted by Cujo359 on

For my part, I can't even visualize it. I remember Stephen Baxter wrote something about the idea in one of his novels, but it didn't even register with me. Every decade or two we seem to learn that the universe is much bigger than we imagine. How can it end, let alone what will it look like? I have trouble even imagining that.

Turlock