Pass the butter

The recipe.

Somewhere along the line I ran into Cider Press Hill and linked to them, but thanks to Avedon for reminding me of this really great food site.

Comments

Submitted by [Please enter a... (not verified) on

Could've told them that picture is from Last Tango in Paris with Brando and Shneider (who said about him - he is middle aged for god sake).

Submitted by [Please enter a... (not verified) on

...that I did it in kindergarden. Maybe 1st grade, but had to be one of those years as I was still in Iowa at the time.

Very bad winter whichever year it was, '59 or '60, and we had many many snow days. So many in fact that we had to go to school on Saturdays for a few weeks to make up the lost time and meet the state minimum. (Why this was considered preferable to extending the school year out a week or so I dunno. First graders are not in a position to analyze such issues.)

Anyway, the problem was that there really wasn't anything scheduled to do on these Saturday sessions. So we did art projects and I don't remember what all, but one week we had a farmer come in. He brought a container of real, straight-from-the-cow milk, and everybody had been told to bring in a baby-food jar the day before. (Height of the baby boom, everybody had an abundance of such things.)

We watched the milk separate as the cream rose. Then we got a dollop of said risen cream into our baby food jars, lids were reattached, and we shook our little arms off.

Probably because we skipped the step cited above of letting the cream sit and separate for a few hours, what we got was Butter Flakes rather than a Butter Lump. But we drained off the liquids and molded our Butter Flakes into as much of a lump as we could manage, and saltine crackers were passed out and we had made our own snacks for the day. It was a feeling of great triumph.

Shortly after that they quit selling non-homogenized milk even in Iowa, alas. I keep meaning to check down at the Amish place to see if they'll sell me any. It's the law they have to pasteurize it but I imagine homogenization is just preference.

Submitted by [Please enter a... (not verified) on

...for sharing your wonderful story.

authenticity, sigh, is too often in short supply these days.

where4art's picture
Submitted by where4art on

(although this sounds like fun to try). Here's how I know:

Back in the Olden Daze (1978), a group of us had just moved to California and got together to celebrate our first Thanksgiving here. A horde of us were in the kitchen with all our dinner contributions, and someone figured out that we didn't have enough butter. I volunteered to go to a nearby convenience store (the only food-selling operation open that day) to get some, but they were all out. I stared at the meagerly stocked dairy case. What to do, what to do... finally, in desperation, I bought some whipping cream. I knew about "churning," but I'd never seen it done. My best guess was that if I used our cheap electric hand-mixer to beat the cream past the whipped stage it would eventually turn. Things got a little tense after a certain ex-boyfriend loudly pooh-pooh'd my plan, turning my experiment into a test of personal credibility; so it was especially satisfying when the big lump of butter formed in the bowl. Best butter I ever had :)

Submitted by [Please enter a... (not verified) on

garsh, way back in olden daze i had 2 kids - one already a teen [like xan in kindergarten ;-o], was planning my 2nd divorce, and last tango was 5 years old!

35 years ago, brando was, well...er, how is butter made again, something about a whole lotta shakin'?

Sarah's picture
Submitted by Sarah on

and butter does result faster if you start with warm cream.

We can admit that we're killers ... but we're not going to kill today. That's all it takes! Knowing that we're not going to kill today! ~ Captain James T. Kirk, Stardate 3193.0