Department of Analytical Tools
So, recently I offended a bunch of nice people because I basically said: "men are easier to please than women, sexually speaking." I didn't mean this to be about men being more stupid, less exciting or interesting, or any other negative connotation about men and sex. But gosh! Is that so controversial to say? Men need... well, imho it's pretty simple. Sure, men want and need love and relationships and complexity and all that. But men also want simple things, and if one is good at those, one can make any man come. Read more about Sex Talk: Men are Easy
The economy is going great guns for the richest 2% or so, but for the other 98% of us it's still crappy. How did we get into this mess? How do we get out of it?
The answers are simple, because we've already done this experiment before, and not all that long ago, either. We call the two parts of that earlier experiment "The Great Depression" and "The New Deal". Read more about The Real News Network interviews Randall Wray
From Rolling Stone magazine, the latest in a rash of negative articles about Faux News:
How Roger Ailes Built the Fox News Fear Factory
The onetime Nixon operative has created the most profitable propaganda machine in history. Inside America's Unfair and Imbalanced Network
Fascinating look at Ailes career. One thing you learn is that political astroturf predates the Internet. Read more about Roger Ailes, the bad one
After the killing of Bin Laden, there have been a lot of questions about how much the Pakistani government knew about the situation. One thing to keep in mind is that Pakistan's political environment is riven with factions, each with its own agenda and armed supporters. Read more about It's All About Factions
What appears to be a belated April Fool's post at Yves' place describes the mysterious death of Prof. Outis Philalithopoulos, with the disappearance of all his work on the "theory of Academic Choice".
Yesterday's must-read! Read more about Sociology of economists, without romance
Yves has two stories on the settlements the banks are pushing to evade accountability for their illegal actions during the ongoing foreclosure crisis, by offering token payments and gutting the court system. Read more about Thieving Banksters scheme to get away clean on foreclosure fraud, MERS
Here is a link to a DailyKos blog in which the writer took the time to assemble the list of the states that perform worse on a number of measurable social indicators. The ten states with the lowest median household income are almost all solidly Republican / conservative states. The states with the worst health-care systems are almost all solidly Republican / conservative states. Read more about Empirical Evidence That Proves Conservatism is Destroying America
I realize that the title of my post is a contradiction in terms, but I can't think of any other way to describe what's going on with federal Republicans and Democrats these days. Burnt Orange Boehner pulls out all the stops by demanding something outrageously batshit fucking crazy - like, the total defunding of Planned Parenthood - and then he stamps his little feet and says he'll shut down the government if he doesn't get it. The Democrats bang their fists on the table in outrage and say there's no way the Republicans will get what they want. But somehow, the deals are made, the governmental shutdown is avoided, and some horrible "compromise" is reached which, mysteriously, amazingly, benefits the top 2% of society. Read more about Report from the Field: Life-and-Death Kabuki
I'm going to meander about here and end up at DanP's nine-word word platform. This is sloppy and unfinished because RL is shouting again, but maybe there are some useful questions in it. This is an inferior substitute for the big think piece I was asked for in mail (you know who you are).
* * *
From the Barcalounger: Read more about Pay no attention to the oligarch behind the curtain