It's all about timing
Rather, I think we're seeing the evidence that the media has decided that Obama is now the presumptive nominee, and having built him up he must be taken down to make the way for St. John McCain
The strategy is pretty obvious if you look at the big picture over the last year rather than the daily details:
- Early 2007: Hillary is the presumptive nominee. Corporate media attacks Hillary. Result: Hillary's challengers rise in the polls.
- Late 2007: Obama rises in the polls. Corporate media gives Obama positive (or non-confrontational) coverage. Result: Obama rises in the polls, Hillary declines.
- Early 2008: Now that, with the corporate media's help, Obama has all but "taken out" Hillary, the media's knives start to come out for Obama.
- Later 2008: Assuming Obama is the Dem nominee, coporate media trashes him relentlessly. Result: McCain presidency.
- Later 2008 (alternate scenario): Obama and Hillary continue to fight it out for the nomination. Corporate media trashes both of them relentlessly. Dem activists get disgusted with the infighting and drop out. Result: McCain presidency.
Never underestimate the power of a concerted corporate media narrative. They are deciding (as they always have) who is elected.
New Media (blogs and internets and such) only reach a tiny fraction of the audience reached by corporate media. Voters can only act on the information they receive.