The man shows how it's done. Surprise, the Kantor film clip video smearing the Hillary campaign was doctored. Nevertheless...
Lie down with dogs...
NOTE So, how do you get a viral video back in the tube? And say... Who was pushing a doctored anti-Hillary video? The same crowd that was pushing the fake WVWV anti-Hillary smear? The same crowd that pushed the Muslim garb anti-Hillary smear, that Kevin Drum retracted, but Obama repeated?
Honestly, what's next from these guys? Serifs?
UPDATE Splendid example of parsing from the unnamed [why?] smear artist. D.A. Pennebaker is the director of the "The War Room," from which the Kantor video was lifted; Ben Smith quotes him:
The second expletive, he said, appeared to have been entirely fabricated, with new audio dubbed onto the original movie.
In an earlier version posted yesterday, the clip was circulating with a subtitle indicating -- Pennebaker says inaccurately -- that Kantor had insulted Indianans; the racial slur appears to have been added to the second version.
Smith then adds an update:
UPDATE: I spoke to the editor of the video who said that he enhanced, but didn't alter, the audio in the second portion of the video.
1. We're really posing the old philosophical question of the identity of indiscernibles. Can the viewer tell the difference between "new audio dubbed" and "enhanced, but didn't alter"? I'm guessing No. Perhaps we could settle on "digitally manipulated"?
2. Obviously, the video was meant to hurt Clinton in IN; that's why the subtitle slurring IN was added. Oddly, or not, Smith doesn't cover who added the subtitle and why in his UPDATE.
3. Why are there two versions of the video? Did the client request changes from "the editor of the video"?
4. Why won't Smith name the editor? Is the editor from the Obama campaign? Affiliated with the Obama campaign? A member of the OFB? What other material has this editor
5. Who posted the video?
6. Who blog-whored the video?
And so on. If we had a functioning media critique, which we don't, those are exactly the kinds of questions I would expect our A listers to be taking up and resolving. Of course, holding my breath on this one would be life-threatening.
UPDATE Wait! I've got the answer! Clintonian Mind Control Waves™ beamed from Mount Evil caused an Obama operative to do something completely out of character and discredit the Obama campaign! Cue another round of W.O.R.M., 10, 9, 8, counting 7, 6 ...
UPDATE There's a word for this kind of disinformation campaign, and I'm surprised I didn't remember it. But Susie did: Ratfucking. Ah yes, takes me back. A new kind of politics my sweet old Aunt Fanny. Looks like I'll have to update the Lexicon....
UPDATE How very, very odd. WKJM isn't covering this at all. I mean, you'd think that when a video that has Clinton operatives supposedly insulting IN says before the crucial IN primary goes viral, and all over the A list, and then the video turns out to be doctored, there'd be some coverage, any coverage. Say, can't WKJM just call up his good friends at the Politico and ask them who the unnamed "editor" was? Just to put those nasty rumors that the Obama campaign was behind all this to rest? Nah. Move along people, move along. There's no story here.
UPDATE Speaking of going viral, there's now a link to what I believe is the doctored video on Kantor's Wikipedia entry. Thorough!