Harry Shearer interviews Yves Smith: Corporate Pillage Part 1 - secret "worst of both worlds" trade agreement negotiations
Yves Smith of Naked Capitalism spent the hour with Harry Shearer on Sunday's Le Show. In the first half of the program they discussed the new international trade agreements being worked up in secret. Corporations are invited; guess what, congresspeople and you and I are not. In the second half, she takes apart JP Morgan Chase's "screaming deal" $13 billion settlement.
Yves blogs about the interview here, Your Humble Blogger Discusses the Pending Trade Deals and JP Morgan on Le Show!
[The Unknown Transcriber has done a --- oh, heck, I can't use "superlative" any more -- stunningly excellent job transcribing this [applause]. I especially like how Lessig contextualizes Swartz's death as a consequence of corruption. It's all about the rents, baby! --lambert]
Outline of talk:
Part 1: Aaron
Part 2: Aaron's works – B©, ©, A©
Part 3: As a citizen
Part 4: The "crime"
Part 5: Godzilla meets Jefferson and Thoreau
Part 6: Aaron's laws
Closing: Aaron and us
Audience Q&ARead below the fold...
1. The arrest, MIT and Secret Service, and Abelson report?
2. What to do about prosecutorial overreach, especially for those who don't have Aaron's connections?
3. Easy for lawyers to make things worse, how to make things better?
4. MIT Office of General Counsel running things, not educators? Lawyers huge part of the problem?
5. Aaron's third law – how to clean up campaign financing?
(This is the first of two posts regarding an extremely dangerous free trade treaty, known as the Transpacific Partnership, that is being negotiated in total secret – and a new treaty, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership, that China and some ASEAN nations are promoting)