Thanks for covering the news, "Josh"
WKJM burbles happily:
If you missed the two-night Hillary-O'Reilly lovefest extravaganza (as I did, deliberately), we've got an easier-to-digest six-minute highlight reel just for you...
Yeah, with a lead-in like that, I'm sure I can totally trust the highlights to represent the event accurately. No doubt about it. None.
Seriously, you'd think Obama supporters like "Marshall" would have learned something from about the perils of
doctoring "editing" videos from their recent experiences, but n-o-o-o-o!
Which reminds me:
ABC called the doctored video of "War Room" that smeared the Clintons a "the definition of a dirty trick"; in other words, Ratfucking. And not only do we know that an Obama supporter created it, the Obama campaign has issued a classic "non-denial denial." Sounds to me like there just might be a story here!
So, I thought I'd see if the tribunes of the people in the blogosphere had done to advance the story, and --- I know this will surprise you -- *** crickets *** Not one single solitary link on the whole front page. Zip. Zilch. Nada. (Although I did find the burbling noted above.)
So, is it only TPM's 2008 campaign coverage that's completely corrupt? Or everything?
And how do I tell?
If I had reportorial resources, like WKJM does, there's are the questions I'd ask:
1. Who blogwhored the video to the A list? Amato, in his critique, says "a good friend." Atrios says he "I was going to ignore it until Drudge posted it, but stupid me anyway." Why didn't he ignore it, then? The second question is related:
2. Why would any A lister accept the video uncritically? A transcript (at least for the Kantor "nigger" smear) only came later; and if the video had any provenance at all, it wasn't exposed in the postings. Surely some sort of checking was done on something so potentially controversial? (And something, as well, that also may have involved copyright material?)
3. Who's the video "editor" and why won't they come forward? Ben Smith quotes the "editor" of the video(s)* who says (a) they are an Obama supporter and (b) the Obama campaign has nothing to do with the matter yet (c) the Obama campaign has, so far, issued a non-denial denial. There seems to be no reason to take any of this on trust.
4. Is the video "editor" JedReport, prominent Kos poster, Obama supporter, and former Hill staffer?
5. Why isn't a "dirty trick" news? ABC's Tapper calls the episode a "dirty trick" -- and it's hard to think of a better word for faking the word "nigger" into a video, attributing it to a prominent Clinton supporter, and ratfucking her campaign by releasing it immediately before a crucial set of primaries.
NOTE The other piece of the story, of course, is who blogwhored the video to the A list, (the honorable Amato's "good friend", for one). That's the trail that leads to.... Where? The Obama campaign? It's an obvious question, yet nobody seems to be asking it. I wonder why?
NOTE I just recommended "Marshall's" silly little clip. Heck, why shouldn't "Marshall" become more like what he already is? Meanwhile, Greg Sargent is wasting his talents on the stupid gas tax controversy. Ah, priorities. (The "creative class" [cough] thinks that working people who drive to work should take one for the team because at some point in the future, The Precious will have an energy plan, so they're clutching their pearls about a minor Hillary proposal that Krugman calls stupid but not evil. Yawn. Good luck with that, Boiz.)
UPDATE Questions originally posted in comments at Susie's place.