What Does Obama Need To Do To Get My Vote?
Not just that, but it's high on my list. We need to fix a broken system.
Some required fixes:
1. End the caucuses. Secret ballot primaries only.
2. Regional primaries. Five of them, in rotation, beginning in February and ending in June. Iowa and New Hampshire can get in line with everyone else.
3. Closed primaries. Democrats should select our nominee.
4. Select the nominee by popular vote. Delegates should be used for other intra-party buisness at the convention, but let the voters select the nominee.
5. Campaign finance reform. The winner should not be selected based on who can raise the most obscene amount of money.
6. No more network debates. The party should sponsor and organize candidate forums and debates. Each candidate should receive equal time, beginning in random order. The cable and network news shows can cover them if they choose.
To accomplish #5 and #6, I would like to see the party develop fair and neutral criteria to select up to 10 candidates to begin the process. Candidates who participate will be funded through the party, and will not need to raise money individually. After each round of primaries, the lowest performing 1-2 candidates are eliminated, until there are only two candidates for the final primary.
This will prevent quality candidates from giving up merely because they can't afford to keep running. No one should be allowed to buy the nomination. Not to mention that Iowa and New Hampshire shouldn't be allowed to eliminate 70-80% of our choices.
Those are some of my ideas on campaign reform. Anyone else have any?